Denver Center for Acupuncture
Semi- private Acupuncture
Welcome to Our Semi- private sessions!
This packet includes an explanation of our community acupuncture clinic. Please take a minute to read this introduction to our clinic and to our community. We are so glad that you are interested in joining us!
What is different about this clinic?
- We treat in a community setting-
Most acupuncturists in the US treat patients one-one-one in isolated rooms. This is not traditional in Asia, where acupuncture usually occurs in a community setting. In our clinic we use reclining chairs in a large, quite, soothing space. Receiving treatments in this environment has many benefits:
- It’s easy for friends and family to come in for a treatment together
- Many patients find it comforting
- It creates a collective energy that makes individual treatments more powerful
Most people find this setting so relaxing that they fall asleep- and once they wake up, they feel refreshed and energized.
- We offer a discounted rate
Acupuncture is most effective when it is done frequently and regularly!
We have returned to the traditional approach- the one that has worked in Asia for thousands of years. Instead of asking you lots of questions, we use the ancient method of pulse and tongue diagnosis to decide how to treat you. This is exactly how acupuncture is practiced in traditionally in Asia- many patients per hour and very little talking.
Our Commitment to You
- We want to make it possible for you to receive acupuncture regularly enough and long enough to get better and stay better.
- We want to give you the tools you need to take care of your own health so that you will not need to rely on Big Insurance and Big Pharmaceutical for costly, high –tech interventions.
- We will provide a safe environment with skilled, dedicated practitioners.
- The quality of your treatment will always be exceptional
We’ve kept the prices low so that most people would be able to afford treatments, and so that people would be able to get regular treatments over time. Getting 8 treatments a month is much more effective than getting 8 treatments in 8 months. Our wellness program allows you to get as much treatments as you need so that you can get better and stay better.
What We Need from You
We are not medical doctors, and we do not provide primary care medicine. Acupuncture is a fantastic complement to Western medicine, but it is not a substitute for it. If you are worried that you have something serious (a serious infection, a malignant growth, an injury that won’t heal, ect.), or if you want to someone knowledgeable to go over your medical history with you, you will need to see a primary care physician ( an MD, ND, or DO). We can provide you with excellent, referrals if you need. But we cannot diagnose something serious. We can and do provide acupuncture for conditions that require a doctor’s attention- for example; we help patients who have side effects as result of undergoing chemotherapy. We need you to take responsibly for own health.
The community setting requires some flexibility on your part. For example, some people have a favorite recliner. When we are busy, your may be taken. Similarly, some patients may snore when they fall asleep- so those who don’t like to bring ear plugs to wear during their treatment. We are grateful for this! Basically, we need you to participate in making yourself comfortable in the community room. If you need to be out the door by a certain time- please let the acupuncturist know and we’ll maker sure you are out in time. If you feel “done” and want your needles taken out- just make eye contact with us and we’ll come over. If you eyes are closed, we‘ll assume you are comfortable.
The soothing atmosphere in our clinic exists because all our patients create it by relaxing together. We appreciate everyone’s presence! This kind of collective stillness is rare and precious thing in our rushed and busy society. Maintaining this reservoir of calm requires that no one talk very much in the clinic space. If you would like to speak to a practitioner one-on-one at any length, please let us know. If you want to have a substantial conversation, we will probably need to schedule that separately and might need to do it by phone.
Part of our success is that our patients learn the “routine” and take on a lot of responsibility for the appointments. Please take all personal belongings, (bags, shoes, etc.) with you back into the treatment room. And of course, please turn off your cell phone.
Acupuncture is a PROCESS. It is very rare that a problem can be resolved in one treatment. In China, a typical protocol for any chronic condition is acupuncture every other day for three month! Most of our patients don’t need that many treatments, but virtually everyone requires a course of treatment in order to get what they want from acupuncture.
On your first visit, your acupuncturists will suggest a course of treatment, which can be anything from” we’d like to see you once a week for six weeks” to we’d really like to see you three times for two weeks. This suggestion is based on our experience with treating different kinds of conditions. If you don’t come in often enough or long enough, acupuncture probably won’t work for you. The purpose of wellness program is to help you make that commitment. If you have any questions about how long it will take to see results, please ask us or if you think you need to adjust your treatment plan, please let us know.
We need you to commit to the process of treatment in order to get good results.
- Talking is kept at a minimum. We may ask you specific questions about the symptoms you are experiencing, but in general an attempt is make to keep voices down.
- Cell phones must be turned off before entering the community room.
- Privacy is attempted, but cannot be guaranteed. Again, voice are kept low, and talking is at a minimum. However, because we treat in a large open space, it is simply not realistic for us to guarantee your privacy.
- Please give us 24 hours notice for a cancellation. Missed appointments that are not cancelled within 24 hours will be charged a $15 fee.
And, last, but not least….enjoy the space. We do, and hope that the Denver Center for Oriental Medicine can become an important part of your community.